Whether you have pets, long hair, drain buildup, or other issues that can cause a clogged or blocked drain, check out these tips. When it comes to clogged home drains, prevention is always the best option.
Follow these simple steps to keep your drains clear:
- Avoid flushing anything other than human waste and toilet paper down the toilet. Disposable wipes, diapers, feminine hygiene products, and even some kinds of tissue can cause blockages.
- Refrain from pouring grease, oil or fat down the kitchen sink. Grease and oil can solidify when they cool, causing a blockage in your pipes.
- Use strainers or filters over all of your drains to catch food particles and other debris that could otherwise cause clogs. Empty them regularly and dispose of the contents properly in the trash.
- Have your plumbing system professionally inspected and cleaned once a year to ensure that it is functioning properly. This can help identify problems before they become bigger issues.
If you are faced with a clogged drain, there are some easy steps you can take to try and unclog it:
- Begin by pouring a mixture of hot water and dish soap down the drain. Let it sit for 10 minutes to allow the soap to break up any debris.
- Next, use a plunger to try and dislodge the clog. Make sure you are using enough force and don’t give up after one attempt.
- If the plunger isn’t working, you can try using a drain snake or an auger to break up the clog manually.
- If all else fails, you may need to call in a professional plumber to take care of the problem.
By following these simple steps, you can help keep your home’s drains clear and functioning properly. Don’t put off acting when a clog arises; the sooner you address it, the better! If you have any questions about how to unclog a drain or need assistance with a plumbing issue, be sure to contact an experienced professional at Luka Services for help.